If you need help of any kind to look after your pet, the good news is there are plenty of free resources across the US that you can access. In this guide, we’re going to explore what we think are some of the best resources for pet owners that could provide the support and assistance, financial and otherwise, that you need.
You should keep in mind that every organization in this list is independent and will have its own set of rules, guidelines and criteria that you must meet to be eligible for assistance. Therefore, it’s well worth reading through the terms and conditions carefully before you apply.
Financial assistance for veterinary care
No owner wants their pet to suffer because they cannot afford the medical care they need. Thankfully, financial aid is out there and there are steps you can take to cover an emergency veterinary bill. However, you should also take the time to discuss whether surgery or treatment is the best option for your pet with your vet first.
The following are all national organizations that provide financial assistance for pet owners:
- Brown Dog Foundation – Financial assistance for those who are unable to afford prescription medicines for their pets.
- Canine Cancer Awareness – Financial help for the veterinary care of dogs with cancer whose owners are financially unable to pay for their treatment.
- The Big Hearts Fund – A fund that’s used to pay for the diagnosis and treatment of heart disease in cats and dogs.
- Magic Bullet Fund – A cancer-specific fund for the care and treatment of dogs with cancer.
- Pets of the Homeless – The only national organization that focuses exclusively on feeding and providing veterinary care for the pets of homeless people.
- The Mosby Fund – Financial assistance for non-routine medical care for sick, abused and neglected dogs and assistance for qualifying families who cannot afford the cost of cancer treatment.
- The Onyx & Breezy Foundation – Funding and support for everything from spay and neuter programs to help for the pets of veterans suffering from PTSD.
- RedRover – Assistance for animals rescued from disaster or neglect, animals with life-threatening illnesses and domestic violence victims seeking safety with their pets.
- Shakespeare Animal Fund – Assistance for low- and moderate-income families and elderly people who cannot afford veterinary care and treatment for their pets.
- Waggle – A crowdfunding site that sends funds directly to verified veterinary providers to pay for care that pet owners can’t afford.
The loss of a beloved pet is devastating for everyone, but it can be even worse for people who do not have other support systems, such as family and friends, to turn to. There are organizations out there who can help to fill this void and understand and overcome your loss.
- ASPCA Pet Loss Hotline – Receive advice and assistance when making the decision to euthanize, grieving the loss of a pet and dealing with children, the elderly and disabled individuals who are facing the death of an animal companion.
- Grief-Pets E-mail Support Group – An online support group for anyone dealing with the loss or imminent death of a pet.
- Lightning Strike Pet Loss Support – Support for those grieving the death of a pet or coming to terms with a sick pet or a lost pet of any kind.
- Rainbow Bridge – A pet loss forum and chat room where you can discuss the devastation of your loss with others and receive much-needed support.
If your beloved cat or dog strays from home, it’s a hugely traumatic experience for you, your family and your pet. You’ll inevitably want to broaden the search as much as possible and there are several resources that can help.
- Center for Lost Pets – A central location you can go to if you have lost or found a pet. See if your lost pet has been found or search to see if a pet you have found has been lost.
- Fido Finder – The largest public database of lost dogs in the US with lost and found dogs listed in your area as well as a range of other resources.
- Lost Dogs of America – A free, nationwide service to help you find your lost dog. It has reunited over 50,000 dogs with their owners so far.
- Mission Reunite – An organization that works to reunite lost pets with their families in the USA and around the world.
There are thousands of cats, dogs and other pets all over the US that would love to be part of a loving family. These are the resources that will help you find them.
- Adopt A Pet – America’s largest pet adoption site that allows you to search for potential matches from more than 17,000 animal shelters and rescues across the US.
- Petango – Use the PetMatch tool to search hundreds of shelters nationwide to find the right pet for you.
- Pet Finder – Search for pets available in your area and explore other resources that will help you find your perfect match.
Find all the help you need
Whatever assistance you’re looking for, whether you’re struggling to pay veterinary bills or have lost a cat or a dog, we think there’s a resource in this list that’ll provide expert and welcome support. At BCP Veterinary Pharmacy, we’re committed to keeping your beloved pets happy and healthy. Find out more about our medications for pet owners and veterinarians and get in touch today.